music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Margaret Mead a wonder woman to me as a teen

Before I knew I was going to go to college and some day be  a school teacher , I was curious about us, as people and how we learn.  Margaret Mead was wonderful, in those years of "finding the light" when I was  learning to learn how to learn.  Yes, I even read normal books that normal people read, then and I still do, but  curiosity about why we are here, where we are headed, and what we are in the universe, never leaves me.  I have an inner drive that says, this looks good, lets explore what that person has learned.  Will I discover the mystery and answers to the eternal questions?  So if you also have that inner curiosity, here is Margaret Mead....a wonder woman to me when I was a teen.  Her studies were challenged by another  and damaged her reputation, but in the long light of life, she opened doors, thought us to think and deserves respect for her long career and another look at whether her challenger was correct in his observations or not.  I wonder why someone would work so hard to discredit the work of another, unless it was blatantly wrong and harmful!

My thanks to Margaret Mead for leading me to question , to keep learning, to keep the challenge of life exciting...In her day doors did not open willingly for women, that was another obstacle she overcame.

Margaret Mead (1901-1978).jpg
Margaret Mead, 1948
BornDecember 16, 1901
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US
DiedNovember 15, 1978 (aged 76)
New York City
EducationBarnard College (1923)
M.A., Columbia University (1924)
Ph.D., Columbia University (1929)
OccupationAnthropologist
Spouse(s)Luther Cressman (1923–1928)
Reo Fortune (1928–1935)
Gregory Bateson (1936–1950)
ChildrenMary Catherine Bateson (b. 1939)
AwardsKalinga Prize (1970)


No comments: