music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Thursday, November 20, 2014

new reading...The Grapes of wrath and thoughts on the start of it...

Reading for a book club and disappointed because the new edition I purchased is dissecting  the story, so
what happens when you begin to read.....  I remember the first college class when I learned about the stream of consciousness, and I was dumbfounded at what it could do for a story!  Reading Faulkner and learning about "stream"...was an awakening...

But, now...after the critiques....that came with the book,
You notice structure, you notice how characters are described, you note the scenes and you don't fall into the story.....

You note the rough language of the two men talking, and you begin to smell the summer dryness, and the burrs of the clover, and suddenly
..... I  found myself back in childhood in the meadows and pastures around 604 Hollis Street, Framingham , Mass., where my brother and I roamed the woods and fields with our cousins and friends..  I could smell the staleness of the shack in the woods, where the "bum" lived unkempt, no insulation, run down with an outhouse in the rear....sad...

So, although the dissection was throwing me off, I began to feel, smell and sense the location.

I wonder if the book club will kill the story for me....I loved the film and could watch it again, but when the discussion starts beating on someone, and trying to discern what side the author was on etc...I begin to lose the treasure...and Grapes.....was a treasure of a very difficult time in the lives of Americans.

Books\ should in my opinion tell a story....the idea here of the rise and fall of an orchestra as one person described is a good idea, but when a person is writing  pages and pages non stop, is he or she really thinking about the rise and fall of an orchestra, or point and counterpoint.......when people try to read their impressions into the story, and the skeleton is showing, I miss the meat....

Do you?

No comments: