music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Totch: A Life in the Everglades: Loren G. Brown: 9780813012285: Amazon.com: Books

Totch: A Life in the Everglades: Loren G. Brown: 9780813012285: Amazon.com: Books

A book that  I received on a Florida antique car tour.  It sat unread for a few years.   I decided to put it in the car, and read it whenever I was waiting for my husband to do his many errands and talk fests. Surprise!  I even took to telling my husband the escapades of Totch, the fisherman and alligator poacher!  He loved the storytelling.  Here is a flavor of the book.

The family so poor that they had no way to survive the depression moved into the Everglades and lived off the land, first in a lean- to shelter. Here is a man who could survive in primitive conditions who raised a family through tough times,and became a HERO in the second world war,  This was the America I knew as a child, at least I thought our country was a land of HERO'S, but then I was a child during the most terrible war our  world had known.  Surviving hardship was what I thought we could do. We were created by  the survivors of the old world who came here for a better life and they knew how to do it.    If you like to read about how people survived in tough times.  Totch's episodes with Little Eddie the game warden remind me of Jackie Gleason the Sheriff chasing Burth Reynolds, in the famous movie about the speeding driver ...what was that movie, do you remember the name , Sally Fiedls was in it too!  I will try and find it..and post it here.  Maybe Totch would make a good movie, because it is adventurous.  Totch has a heart attach while poaching alligators in the swamp, his baby daughter is trapped in a fire sitting on the engine of his fishing boat.  His love for his wife, his Queen, the mother of his children, is evident as he risks his life to support his family.

No comments: