music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Black Obelisque Erich Maria Remarque

Remarque was famous for "All Quiet On the Western Front", but this , "The Black Obelisque", was my favorite and if you read the reviews you will see that I am not alone in that.

Hyperinflation after the first world war, and the struggle of the people to endure remains in my mind , probably read by me back in the 50's.  It was a book that remained with me with what seemed like forever.

Another favorite book of mine from when I was a young girl is the story of Madame de Stahl, her salon was famous in Paris, and I wondered at her influence as a woman of the time.  A book  I found in our small library in downtown Framingham.  Our librarians were pretty good at picking great books it also shows the value of a library, whether big or small.

Alma Mahler, was married to two genius' of her time, Mahler and Werfel.  As a young woman, I was struck that she had been honored to share the lives of such brilliant men.  It was an accomplishment not easily done, in her day.  I remember picking out the book in the Framingham library, being enthralled with the story of the time, as I was with the magic of our small library in the Framingham Town Hall Building

No comments: