music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Genome of the Soul

The book,The Genome of the Soul, just crossed my path, when I was reading, "Shift", the April edition on line. So, I decided to do some browzing, I was excited about the possibilities that are developing along the line of a genome of the Soul.

When I was a teacher, I often thought of how sad it was to have children in the class that could never really succeed to the level of the other "kids". This does not happen only with the intellectually challenged, but even with normal intelligence. I remember Virginia Durgin, who was a math whiz, in elementary school with me, every question , her hand shot up before I could even begin to think of an answer. So, I sympathized when teaching with the slow learners and tried to think of ways to give them success. Often I felt we were not doing them a service, by putting them in the classroom to experience difficulties they could not overcome.

Now, perhaps some educators will consider the possibility that we should train children to be the best they can be, with the skills and intellect they have to work with. Success has much to do with happiness, and perhaps the early training for success in classes to develop the intellectually challenged to be the best they can be, will lower the prison population. We need to stop being politically correct at the expense of our fellow human beings. It does not hurt to try to improve the quality of life we offer our intellectually challenged children, and adults, with the right education, an education they can benefit from, not a vacuum that they can not fight against to enter. Here is a link to some reading on the subject.

http://http://www.mindfully.org/GE/Genome-Secular-Soul-Mauron.htm

No comments: