music, thoughts, books, dreams, more

Just my world of dreams, music and thoughts. Author of two books, one a novel of Love stories set in Framingham, Mass, Secrets of the Heart the 2nd book an autobiography of growing up in Framingham, Mass. Small Town America, Framingham My generation was the first teenage generation, that was when the word was coined. Ours was the generation that started cruising through town and to the drive in theater and drive in restaurant. In our area, Ernie Kampersal,from Holliston, drove his bucking car through town, picking up girls. It rose in the air, like a stallion! We went to the soda shops and played the juke boxes. It was a different town, a different time, and it belonged to us!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Lifelong learning


When I came across my high school graduation picture, the memories flooded back. I remember being overcome with lonliness for the future, because all my friends were going off in different directions. Some went to work at the telephone company for life long careers. I did not know what my future was going to bring me, because I wanted to go to college, but my mother and father, said that girls did not go to college. It was a waste of money, since girls got married, had children and stayed home to raise the children.
The fall of my senior year, Dad died. It was a year of tremendous pain and turmoil for the whole family. My whole life had been built around making Dad proud of me, showing him I could be as good as any son. But, now, my reason for being, my reflection plate was gone. I no longer could see the love I had for him, or him for me, in the reflection of his face, and I did not know what was to become of our family. Mom was lost in the lonliness of being a widow. Frank was only 12, and maybe too young to realize how this loss would affect his growing up. Dutifully, I followed my Mom's advice and attended secretarial school the summer after graduation. It was not a happy time. Then Mom found out that to work in a Doctor's office I needed a medical secretary degree from a two year college. She relented and let me go to Lasell Jr. College with my best friend, Barbara. It was still learning to be a secretary with medical knowledge tossed in. I was not happy. It was not my goal, it was my mother's goal. Sometimes I wonder, if we ever really learn from our mistakes, do we repeat them with our children. Do we make new mistakes, because we are afraid of committing the ones our parents made? Parenting is not perfect for anyone. All we can do is hope for our children to find their niche their path in the world, with purpose.

No comments: